Thursday, October 18, 2012

5K Training Program

Many of us have that DESIRE to start running but we do not know where to start. We are so pumped to have Julie here today sharing with us her 5K Training Program. It seems like such a program and I hope if you are on the fence about running- you will give this a try! 
------------------
Hi!  I am Julie from A Beautiful Day.  I am so excited to be here today guest posting for the Naturally Fit Sisters.  I am going to share a little about my journey through the Couch Potato to 5K training program, where apparently the third time is the charm.

 
I started the Couch Potato to 5K training program a little over eight weeks ago.  I guess that I should also mention that this is my third try at completing the program.  Prior to attempting this program, I was a true Couch Potato in every sense of the word.  I had gotten to the point that I knew that I had to do something.  Some may say that I could have taken a little easier approach, started out a little slower, but I have wanted to RUN a 5K for years and I decided that it was time for no more excuses.

 
 
I am now two workouts away from completeing the program, and am just now running about 2 miles, so yes, I still have a ways to go.  But considering two months ago I could barely run a quarter of a mile, progress has definitely been made.  You can either work the program timed or by distance and I chose to do the timed version as it was the easiest for me with the app.  Now that I am nearing the end I am questioning my decision because my first 5K is a month from yesterday and I am going to have to work myself up to an additional mile in that time without the benefit of the training program.

Running is not  easy or particularly fun for me, but at this point I refuse to give up.  And although I don't love it, there is quite a sense of accomplishment after I complete each workout.


It is a really good feeling and I can only imagine what I am going to feel in just under a month, when I cross the finish line of my first 5K.  I have dear friends that will be there supporting me  and I couldn't be more grateful for that!  On a final note just last week, I started getting tingly feet about 1 to 1.5 miles into my run.  The only way I can acurately describe it, is to say it feels like my feet are asleep.  It is not a good feeling  to have, especially when you are out running - if anyone has any ideas or advice to help me get past this, I would greatly appreciate it.  It would make my last month of training so much better.

Thank you so much to Brittany and Cassey for having me today!  If you enjoyed my post and would like to keep up with my training you can visit me at A Beautiful Day or follow me on Instagram.  I love visitors and enjoy meeting fellow bloggers.

3 comments:

  1. I know you're going to do awesome when run your 5 5k Jules, and think of the amazing feeling you'll have when you're done!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky,

      Thank you so much for stopping by and checking out my guest post. A lot has happened since I wrote this post for them (not necessarily conducive to the outcome that I had wanted), but I am going to try to update over the weekend!

      Delete
  2. Jules-thanks for this post! I'm actually starting that program this week. :) I joined a volleyball team-we had our 1st practice this week and I was completely exhausted afterwards. I knew I had to do something-so I downloaded the App and I'll start tonight. So great to hear other people's success stories!

    ReplyDelete